Inspired by a vintage 1930s Stetson from Ben Fife’s personal collection, the Abalone Trail features an angled teardrop crown and 3 ¾” brim with an irregular flange curl.
The hat is handcrafted from a 1960s vintage Stetson, with a 4 ½ x 5” crown and band made from a 1930s vintage cotton/rayon grosgrain ribbon and a selvedge Japanese indigo cotton textile, which are paired to create a matching and opposing bow design. This is complemented with a strand of handmade stick abalone and sterling silver beads, and striking feather detail.
The Abalone Trail is finished with a special co-branded premium leather sweatband and deluxe quality satin liner. It comes in a custom hat box featuring hand-applied stamps and a topographical map of Pikes Peak—where, in the early 1860s, John B. Stetson created the first-ever Stetson hat.
This hat is part of The Upcycle Collection, a capsule of ten vintage Stetsons that have been reimagined and reborn in partnership with Ben Fife of Westward Leather Company of Spokane, Washington. Each hat has been cleaned, steamed and re-shaped using handmade hat blocks and finished with globally sourced textiles and design accents from Fife’s personal collection. The results are one-of-a-kind wearable works of art, each with its own unique character and story.
Due to the special nature of this item, all sales are final.
- Vintage Stetson Fur Felt Hat (ca. 1960s), Meticulously Restored and Reimagined by Ben Fife of Westward Leather Co.
- Size 7 ¼
- 4 ½ x 5” Angled Pinch Front Teardrop Crown
- 3 ¾” Irregular Flange Curl Brim
- Asymmetrical 1930s Cotton/Rayon Grosgrain and Vintage Selvedge Indigo Cotton Band with Feather Detail.
- Stick Abalone & Sterling Silver Beads
- Stetson X WLC Genuine Leather Sweatband
- Satin Liner
- Custom Co-Branded Upcycle Collection Hat Box
- Handmade in the U.S.A.